Thursday, December 13, 2012

Seasons Greetings...

It has been a while since I posted anything substantial here, which is completely normal for me. This time of year I tend to be more focused on the holidays, making gifts and spending time with family. My writing usually takes a back burner for a couple of months, until the weather warms up and I start thinking about my garden again. Year's end is always a time of deep reflection and meditation, a chance to review my goals and values and renew my resolve. I need this down-time if I want to do amazing things in the coming year! I'd like to post some pictures of the gifts I have been making, but so many of the recipients read this humble little blog that I'd be giving too much away! I will say that my fingers have been very busy, and the kids have been really enjoying making gifts and cards for everyone!

The birds are at the feeder in droves now, and it has been a great learning experience for both my children and myself. When you have 6 or 7 different types of bird at the feeder at the same time, it makes it a lot easier to point out their differences so that the kids can learn which is which! So far, we've had Chickadees, Red Poles, Nuthatches, Pine Grosbeaks, Downy Woodpeckers, Hairy Woodpeckers, Magpies, Gray Jays, Ravens, Eagles, Ospreys, Owls, and even a Northern Goshawk!

I'm also happy to report that the snow finally arrived... hopefully before too much damage was done to the roots of my perennials. When you have longs stretches of below-zero weather, the snow actually insulates, keeping the frost from heaving the plants up out of the ground! I did use leaf-mulch on the plants that I thought would need a little extra help, so everything should be doing fine, but you never know what Mother Nature will decide to do when nobody is paying attention!

Now, I'm headed back to my Peppermint Tea, and the chicken stock I've been boiling to turn into tonight's Chicken and Dumplings! I sincerely hope that you all have a wonderful holiday, no matter if you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, Festivus, or any other version of it! Peace be with you all!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Due to spam, I am moderating, but I'll be as quick as I can!