Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wild Rosehip Jelly!!!

Today was a good day. I officially made not only my first batch of jelly ever, but it was my first time canning as well! Rosehip jelly, made from Wild Sitka Roses that grow all over my property. This is better than homegrown... this is wild food foraging!



Wild Sitka Rosehips




Boiling the rosehips to make the juice




Cooking the juice with the sugar and pectin




Made 1 dozen half-pint jars




Beautiful color






I was determined to learn how to can this year, and I'm excited to learn how easy it really is! Tomorrow its on to Raspberry Jam!

On another note, I officially joined a local CSA this week. Glacier Valley Farm CSA is unique in that you purchase the produce by the week, rather than by the season. Its a good price, and if you live in Anchorage or the Mat-Su Valley, I encourage you to check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Due to spam, I am moderating, but I'll be as quick as I can!