Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What does "simple life" mean to you?

If you take a look at my blog roll, you can easily see what kind of lifestyle I aspire towards. Simple, organic, frugal, and self sufficient. But I have come to realize that these phrases mean very different things to different people. What does "simple life" mean to you?

Here is my own personal list of things that define MY "simple life"...

1. Enjoying being at home
- It amazes me how many people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on their house (notice I said house, not home) just to avoid it whenever possible!

2. Avoiding the shopping malls and convenience stores
- These places are designed to help you part with your hard-earned dollars. No one but me decides how my money is spent. I got rid of the TV because my son wanted everything he saw advertised, even when he didn't know what it was! Getting rid of the TV got rid of the "I want" mentality surprisingly quickly!

3. Making, rather than purchasing
- How many people spend a fortune on things they could have made for a fraction of the cost? If I can make it by hand I will, even if it takes a bit of time and effort.

4. Taking time each day to slow down and look around
- I live in the most beautiful place on earth, and I'm going to enjoy every minute I am blessed with!

5. Making nourishing, chemical-free meals for my family
- Not only is it easier and cheaper, I can make a meal to rival the best 5 star restaurant, and I know EXACTLY what my family is putting into their bodies. Not to mention that it gives us a chance to sit down at the dinner table together every night. I can't stress enough how important this is.

6. Enjoying family in general
- I am fortunate to be very close with my family, and I sometimes forget how many people are lacking that. There is no-one in the world I would rather be with than my husband and children.

7. Not needing hundreds of "friends" to feel loved and important
- I learned a long time ago that a few good friends are more valuable than being able to say you are friends with so-and-so. I choose my friends carefully, and the friendships last a very long time.

8. Being at peace with my situation
- My life is by no means perfect. There are some things I simply have no control over, and I choose not to dwell on them. I am here, and I am happy.

9. Not relying on credit cards to validate myself or my lifestyle
- Never again will I be a slave to plastic. Credit cards are evil, and they will destroy not only a financial situation, but they can destroy families as well. I know a family that lost a beautiful farm because the wife had secretly run up $100,000+ credit card debt. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.. simple as that!

10. Recognizing that its not the destination, its the journey that is most important
- We don't know what is in store for us tomorrow, so its important to cherish today.


The point I'm trying to make is that this is the lifestyle that works for me and my family. This definition is a very personal thing. Maybe you see it differently... that's perfectly ok! How do you define it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Due to spam, I am moderating, but I'll be as quick as I can!