Saturday, February 6, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

I have had many email requests for my laundry soap, so I figured I'd go ahead and post it... Let me know if you try it, and what you think! I use if for all of our laundry, from my baby's delicate things to my auto-mechanic husband's work clothes, and I love it!

Homemade Laundry Soap

1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap (in Fred Meyer in the laundry aisle next to the Borax)
1/2 cup washing soda (NOT baking soda, although Arm & Hammer does make it)
1/2 cup Borax powder
water

You will also need a small bucket (3-5 gallon) and a stirring utensil, a funnel, a grater (cheese grater works fine), a saucepan, and something for storage (gallon milk jugs work great!)

1. Grate the soap into the saucepan.
2. Add 6 cups water and heat until the soap melts, stirring occasionally.
3. Add washing soda and borax, stirring until dissolved.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket.
6. Add soap mixture and stir.
7. Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups water and stir.
8. Let sit for 24 hours in the bucket, until gelled.
9. Stir vigorously, until mixture resembles "egg drop soup".
10. **Optional - Add 1/2 to 1 oz essential oil of choice - citrus works well*
11. Transfer to storage jugs.


Shake before using - 1/2 cup per load - works fine in high efficiency washers

* I use lavender essential oil, about 30 drops per batch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Due to spam, I am moderating, but I'll be as quick as I can!