Friday, July 30, 2010

Basic Quiche Recipe

Quiche with Broccoli, Onions, Squash and Squash Blossoms

I love this recipe because it is so versatile, and very easy.  You can use your favorite crust recipe, or just buy the frozen ones at your local grocery store.  The vegetables are completely interchangeable, just use whatever you have on hand... I promise it will be delicious!




Ingredients

1 pie crust
2 cups mixed diced vegetables
1 tbsp olive oil
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 400 F, with oven rack in center.

Saute vegetables and olive oil until cooked but not too soft.

Spread cooked vegetables evenly into bottom of pie crust.

Whisk eggs and milk until combined.

*very important secret step!!!
Open oven, pull oven rack partially out, and place pie crust with vegetables on the rack.  Pour egg/milk mixture into crust. (This keeps the filling from spilling between the counter and the oven rack!  Pretty smart, eh?)

Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over surface of quiche.

Add squash blossoms decoratively to the top, if using.

Bake for 35 - 45 minutes
(*be sure to keep an eye on the crust for browning)

Quiche is done when an inserted knife comes out clean, or just moist.

Let cool for about 5 minutes, then serve and enjoy.  (Its delicious cold too!)

2 comments:

  1. Quiche looks great! I still have yet to try squash blossoms. I can't bear to remove them, knowing they could be a big old squash one day!

    Aren't they nice and sweet?

    I do eat daylily buds though- I would imagine they might have a similar taste? sort of similar texture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take the blossoms off the fruit once I am sure it is set, but cook mostly with the male blossoms.

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Due to spam, I am moderating, but I'll be as quick as I can!