Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A few photos... and dang is it hot outside!

It is 4pm right now, and my thermometer (on the coldest corner of the house) is reading 78F! Last year I don't think it got above 70F all summer long. Alaska weather is nothing if not unpredictable! {{UPDATE... 4:30 pm.... 80F and still rising!!}}

Here's a couple of random photos taken a few minutes ago....




My Great Dane, "Sleeping Lady", named after my favorite mountain and looking particularly majestic herself today



The first "Sitka Roses" (wild in Alaska) blooming... mmmmmm, wild rosehip jelly this fall!



High-bush cranberries (also wild in Alaska) in full bloom as well. There are about a million things you can make with these!


I just checked on my greenhouse, and boy am I glad I did! It was over 100F in there, even with the vents open and the fans on! I have the door propped open now, so hopefully it will cool down a bit. I try to keep the temperature at around 85F during the day, the plants seem to like that temperature the best. At least I know to only water the gardens first thing in the morning, or late in the evening... I would hate to sunburn them this early in the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Due to spam, I am moderating, but I'll be as quick as I can!